For many Canadians, the go-to screen is no longer a television set. Smartphones have become our 24/7 display for work, play and everything in between. And in the same way that we dust our TV stands and spray-clean our LCDs, we should also keep our mini-screens and cases dust-free and sparkling.
For this How-To, we’ll start with the smartphone display. Keep in mind that we’re focusing on phones with touchscreens.
1. Turn your phone off, so you can clearly see any dust or smudges in the absence of backlighting. Then use a microfibre cloth, such as an eyeglass-cleaning cloth, and sweep your screen from side to side. Avoid using tissues, paper towels, shirts or paper-based cloths, since these materials can leave scratches on your screen over time.
2. For tougher stains, you can add a little bit of water to the soft cloth, but don’t go overboard with fluids. And always avoid aerosol sprays, solvents and abrasives, something Apple stresses on its Support page.
3. Use a clean, dry toothbrush to help remove lint and debris that have found their way into the phone ports, but be gentle, since the bristles will do the work for you.
Next, let’s take a look at the phone case, which shouldn’t be neglected either: it can accumulate grime and food bits without you noticing.
1. Take the case off your phone and clean it with a soft cloth dabbed in soap and water. Wipe down the back of the case, and then flip it over and clear out the dirt from those often-overlooked corner pockets.
2. Let the case dry for a few hours before fitting it back onto your phone.
Done. Know that feeling you get when you come out of a dental cleaning and your mouth is all fresh and revitalized? Imagine the same sensation for your phone and case after you give them a thorough wipe-down…and if they could thank you, we know they would.